Ship: HMS CHAWTON
Pennant No: M1209
Laid Down: 29 November 1955
Completed: 23 July 1958
Built By: Fleetlands Shipyard, Gosport
Time to Build: 32 months
Commissioned9 October 1958 for 104th MSS based in Malta
Years Fully Operational: 15
Outline of Operational Career:
- 30 Oct 58 Arrived Malta. Joined 104th MSS
- 1958-59 3 periods Cyprus Patrol
- 21Oct59 Deployed to Far East with WOODBRIDGE HAVEN
- 30 Nov 59 Arrived Singapore
- 1961-62 Exercises and visits. Anti-piracy patrols.
- 1963 North Borneo river patrols.
- 1964-65 Sarawak and Singapore Straits patrols
- Sept 65 Paid off and recommissioned as SO 9th MSS
- Oct 65 Passage to Bahrain
- 1966-67 Gulf and Straits of Oman Patrols. Exercises
- May 67 Passage to Gibraltar for Refit
- Dec 67 Passage to Bahrain round Africa
- 1968-69 9th MSS based Bahrain
- Mar 69 Passage to Gibraltar for refit then Reserve.
- Nov 71 Recommissioned to replace BELTON in FPS.
- 8-22 Dec 62 Supported Limbang Raid. Two seamen wounded
- 9 Mar 72 Boarded French FV ‘Shetland’ in Channel following Hot Pursuit
- 10 Oct 74 Boarded 2000 ton Bulgarian Trawler ‘Aurelia’ while night fishing
Paid Off: 28th February 1975
Disposal: 24th January 1977 at Tees Marine Service, Middlesbrough