Ship: HMS BURNASTON
Pennant No: M1116
Laid Down: 3rd May 1951
Built by: Fleetlands, Gosport
Completed: 3rd March 1954
Time to Build: 34 Months
Commissioned: March 1954 For 104th Minesweeping Squadron (MSS) based Harwich
Years Fully Operational: 8
Outline of Operational Career:
- Apr 1954 Joined 104th MSS at Harwich
- Nov 1954 Placed in Reserve at Chatham, following refit.
- Mar 1957 Recommissioned for 100th MSS based Portsmouth
- Sep 1958 Paid off for Deltic Conversion at Sheerness
- Mar 1959 Commissioned for 108th MSS based Malta. To Med.
- Mar 1962 Paid off at Malta. Towed to Gibraltar. Docking & Reserve
- Sep 1965 Recommissioned for 9th MSS based Bahrein. Deployed.
- Feb 1967 Returned to Gibraltar for Refit Mar-Jun. Return delayed.
- Jun 1967 Attached to 7th MSS based Malta. Cyprus Patrols
- Aug 1967 Lent Fishery Protection Squadron based Port Edgar
- Nov 1967 Passage from UK round Africa. Arrived Bahrain Mar 68
- Feb 1968 Rejoined 9th MSS at Bahrain
- Mar 1969 Passage to UK round Africa, Arrived Portsmouth June 69
- June 1967 Suez Canal closed by war while on passage to Bahrain
- Oct 1959 MV ‘Deniz’ scuttled while being searched off Cyrus
- Apr 1961 SHAVINGTON collided with BURNASTON during passage manoeuvres. SHAVINGTON serious damage
Paid Off: 9th June 1969
Disposal: 29 Mar 71 Sold to Metrec, Newhaven for breaking up.