Ship: HMS BRONINGTON
Pennant No: M1115
Laid Down: 30th May 1951
Built by: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley, Yorkshire
Completed: 4th June 1954
Time to Build: 36 Months
Commissioned: September 1954 For 101st (RNVR) Squadron as HMS HUMBER and based Hull
Years Fully Operational: 31
Conversion to Minehunter: December 1963 to February 1965 at Rosyth
Outline of Operational Career:
- Oct 1954 Named HMS HUMBER. Joined 101st MSS.
- May 1958 Reverted to BRONINGTON
- Sep 1958 Reserve Chatham then Deltic Conversion at Rosyth
- Mar 1960 Recommissioned for 50th MSS (Trials) at Portland
- Oct 1961 Transferred to 51st MSS (later 1st MHS) at Port Edgar
- Dec 1963 Paid off for conversion to Minehunter at Rosyth
- Dec 1965 Joined 1st MCM Squadron based Rosyth
- Sep 1978 Transferred to 2nd MCMS as SO based Portsmouth.
- July 1983 Attached to STANAVFORCHAN (to Dec 83)
- June 1988 Paid off at Portsmouth
- Mar 1960 Collision in Forth. Damage to stem. Repairs 6 weeks.
- Mar 1973 Rescued 8 men and a woman from Dutch Coaster Aground off Co. Down
- Feb 1976 Lt HRH The Prince of Wales took command (to Dec 76)
- Nov 1976 HM The Queen visited ship in Pool of London
- Apr 1981 Assisted HMS ALACRITY in standing by FV ‘Pentille’ Taking water off Plymouth. Pumping out failed so BRONINGTON ordered to sink FV with Bofors.
Paid Off: 30th June 1988
Disposal: 25th January 1989. Transferred to Trafford Park Development Corporation for display as preserved warship. Later transferred to Historic Warships, Birkenhead. Now neglected and closed to public.