Ship: HMS ALDINGTON
Laid Down:27 November 1953
Built by:Camper and Nicholson, Southampton Yard Number 793
Completed: 18 April 1956
Time to Build:29 Months
Commissioned:24 August 1956 For 108th Minesweeping Squadron based at Malta
Years Fully Operational:One year with RN.
Outline of Operational Career:
- 24 August-04 September 56 Passage to Malta, with PENSTON
- 20 September-14 November 56 First Cyprus Patrol (56 days)
- 15 November-21 December 56 At Port Said. Post landings support role
- January-June 57 Exercises and Visits in Central Mediterranean
- 17 March-24 April 57 Second Cyprus Patrol (39 days)
- 1 June 57 Exchanged Crews with DUFTON at Malta
- 07-18 June 57 Passage to UK. Paid off and Refit on arrival
- 1958-63 Reserve Fleet at Hythe then Gibraltar
- 28 August 56 Damage to M/S winch shaft during exercise
- 6-16 September 56 Alloy winch shaft replaced with mild steel.
- 15 November 56 Arrived at Port Said. Transferred to 104th MSS.
- 21-24 December 56 Passage to Malta with WOODBRIDGE HAVEN
- 06 March 57 In night collision with PENSTON. Damaged.
- May 57 Decision for ALDINGTON to return to UK
- 07-18 June Passage to UK
Paid off:19 June 57at Chatham for Refit & Reserve.
Disposal:August 1963. Sold to Ghana Navy as EJURA