‘COCHRANE’, and Rosyth Dockyard, were the home of the 1 MCM, and Fishery Protection Squadrons after the closure of HMS LOCHINVAR in 1975.
A distinctive feature of Rosyth Support facilities was the Synchrolift a powered trolley that could lift a vessel from the water and transport into a covered workshop where maintenance and repairs could be carried out round the clock without regard to the weather. Such shiplifts are now commonplace in marinas.
They remained there until ‘COCHRANE’ itself closed in the Nineties with everything moving to Faslane.
Cochrane, Rosyth, Opened 1938 - Closed 31st March 1996