Ship: HMS LALESTON
Pernnant No: M1158
Laid Down: 12th March 1953
Built by: Harland & Wolff, Belfast. Yard Number 1519
Completed: 10th November 1954
Time to Build: 20 months
Commissioned: January 1955 for VERNON Training Squadron (with BILDESTON Crew)
Conversion: To Diving Trials Ship 1966-1967
Years Fully Operational: 22
Outline of Operational Career:
- Jan 55 Joined VERNON Training Squadron
- 1956 Refit and defect rectification (Four COs in year)
- Oct 60 Paid off for Deltic Conversion (prolonged)
- 1961-62 Refit and reserve
- Jan 63 Recommissioned as SO of 3rd MSS based Portland.
- Jan 65 Paid Off to reserve. Crew to Aden to man CALTON.
- 7 Mar 67 Recommissioned as Diving Trials ship
- 1967-71 Diving Trials and visits in North European Waters .
- Oct-Nov 71 Deployment to Mediterranean
- 1971-78 Diving trials and training
- Nov 78- 82 10th MCMS – NW Sea Training Group
- 17 Nov 59 Took 10 Admirals to sea for the day.
- 30 Jun 68 Escorted yacht ‘Lively Lady’ (Sir Alec Rose) up Channel
- 28 Jun 77 Participated in Spithead Review
- Apr 1978 Participated in AMOCO CADIZ clean up
Paid Off: February 1982
Disposal: 26th February 1985. Sold to G & T Services, Barking for breaking up